Thursday, December 2, 2010

Three Years of Freedom

It's time to celebrate! In a few days, Argus will have been at Watermark Farm for three years. He'll do something low-key, like gaze at me with kind eyes while I blanket him and add a few extra carrots to his grain because, after all, Argus is a real horse now.

Our big grey boy is doing so well, and I hope you will join with me, wherever you are, to say a silent word of thanks to all the people who came together to free Argus from his prison. It has been a long haul for him, but I'm pleased to say that life is very good for Argus, and he is one happy boy.

Argus' days are a pleasant and predictable routine. He's just one of the boys here at the farm and he knows it. At night he stands quietly while I throw his big Rambo blanket over his back, and he weaves in anticipation of his big tub of feed that he knows is waiting for him in the barn. I never get tired of caring for him. It's one of those pleasures I savor, for every encounter with him is joyful. He's cooperative, kind, respectful and easy. I just adore Argus and even more I adore watching him live the life he was meant to have.

Argus continues to share a pasture with his buddies Odie the Mule (who is in serious dressage training at present), Indy the Dutch Warmblood, and my new, leased horse, a Thoroughbred from New Zealand called Perigrin. (The horses all make fun of Perigrin's kiwi accent...) I'm getting a fair amount of good-natured ribbing for my collection of greys. Argus, Indy, Perigrin and the sidelined Ridge are all greys. Odie the mule is white with brown spots. Needless to say, we go through a lot of horse shampoo here.

For those that have asked, Argus' buddy Ridge continues to be on long-term rest for a severe bowed tendon. The good news is that his most recent ultrasound showed tons of healing, and he is now handwalking. With luck and good care, Ridge will join the horses out in pasture by next June. Argus misses him, but they play over the paddock fence every day.

A few months ago, I bathed Argus and trimmed him up and made him model for some photos. Here he is in all his summer-coat glory (you didn't really want to see him covered in mud, did you?). He's posing with my daughter, Shelby, and my daughter Demi and her mule Odie.

Happy Holidays to everyone!

Katie




15 comments:

Morgan said...

I... cannot believe it's been three years that I have been following your journey with Argus.

All I can say is I'm glad that the Ol' Boy is still trucking around and enjoying life!

Thanks so much for all the effort you put into him, from all of us out here in internet-land.

Give Argus and the grey's a big hug from me :)

A said...

That's terrific, thanks for posting!!

Unknown said...

I can't believe it's been three years already! Argus in all his glory what a handsome boy. You really ought to send pictures of him to horse colouration sites, his bloody shoulder (collection of flea bite spotting near his withers) they are quite rare. My mare only has a couple "blood marks" or smaller collections of the fleabite spots that have collected in an area on her neck which looks like a heaft and near her tail.

duffylou said...

So glad to see a post and with pictures! Argus looks fabulous. You do such a beautiful job with him. Just think, you can throw the blanket on him now.

Festive Chicken said...

Three years. Blessed years!
He looks great.
Thanks so much for posting.
Have a safe and happy holiday and New Year.

Rhova said...

Three years! They seem to have gone by so quickly, and at the same time so slowly! I am so grateful to you for posting this blog and sharing your courageous, kind and amazing journey with Argus. It has been an inspiration to me to be better, to do better, and more than once brought me to tears. Merry Christmas and all the other Seasons Greetings to you, Argus and the rest of your family both two-legs and four-legs.

cdncowgirl said...

Thank you for the update. It sure doesn't seem like 3 years... I wonder how it feels to Argus?
Glad to hear Ridge is healing.

Jill said...

Three years?! Wow!

Thanks so much for the update. Argus' story really touched me, and I think about him often...especially since there's an old grey flea-bitten mare where I board that would fit in well with your color-scheme.

What a lovely boy, and I'm so glad he stayed with you and is now just one of the boys.

Mikey said...

Wow, 3 yrs already! Congratulations Argus! He sure looks happy :)

CTG Ponies said...

Congratulations to Argus (and you) for his successes in life!! He's come a long way and it shows.

shanmarie said...

I came across your blog accidentally and was immediately hooked. I have just spent the last 8 hours reading it from start to finish and I now have a headache!!!

Argus most definitely landed on all four hooves when he came to you. I wish you and your furbabies all the best and will be reading any and all future posts.

Big hugs for Argus, Odie, Ridge, Indie and the new boy xx

Rising Rainbow said...

Merry Christmas to you and yours!

excaliber813 said...

Katie,
So hapy to see the beautiful photos of Argus on his 3rd anniversary of freedom! He has come a long way under your constant love, care and admiration.

I truly enjoy all of your updates!

Many blessings to all @ Watermark Farm
Doe

PaintedPromise said...

wow 3 years already????

and...

THANK GOD for an Argus update... i was getting worried!!! i haven't been checking much because it was the July post for so long... i'll be back more often now!

Lori said...

Any updates on Argus??